What Can We Tell from This Photo? (Case Study 10)
This photo was taken at the base of a basement wall.
We note the following:
- The moisture staining on the wood stud and the cardboard box indicate that there has been water infiltration.
- The multiple rings of the moisture staining on the wood stud and the box indicate that it has occurred multiple times.
- The multiple heights of the moisture staining on the wood stud indicate that there have been multiple depths of water in the basement.
- The poor condition of the cardboard also indicates that the ground water infiltration has been a prolonged and repeated problem.
- The soil residue on the floor and the wood stud indicates that the moisture staining is from ground water infiltration.
- The efflorescence and the cement based coating on the wall indicate that ground water infiltration has been an on-going problem.
- The cement based coating on the wall indicates that someone recognized the water infiltration issue and tried to stop it with a waterproof coating.
- The overbrushing of the cement based coating onto the wood stud indicates that the stud was against the wall when the coating was applied.
Do you have any other observations that we missed?
Please write to us at email@example.com and let us know.